Okay, I know what you're thinking: "Pineapple upside-down cake sounds WAY too complicated for me!" But seriously... if you can bake a cake from a box, you can make this recipe from scratch! And I bet you already have almost all of the ingredients sitting in your cabinet!! Go check now!!
1. Gather your ingredients:
2 1/2 cups flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups sugar
1 stick of butter
1/4 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups milk
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
one 20-ounce can sliced pineapple
1 1/3 cups brown sugar
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
3. Make the batter: mix together flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, 1/2 stick of butter, shortening, milk, eggs, vanilla, and 2 table spoons of the pineapple juice.
4. Melt the remaining 1/2 stick of butter in an iron skillet over medium heat. (If you're like me and don't have a cast iron skillet, a cast iron pot works great too!) Swirl the butter around to coat the entire skillet.
5. Sprinkle the brown sugar over the butter, making sure it's evenly distributed. Cover the entire surface with the brown sugar, but do not stir!
6. When the sugar starts to melt, place a layer of pineapple slices over the top.
7. Pour the batter evenly over the pineapple slices. (Don't forget to lick the extra batter from the bowl!)
8. Bake at 350 degrees for around 45 minutes.
9. Remove from oven when the edges start to pull away from the pot.
10. Run a knife around the edge of the pot to ensure the edges are good and loose.
11. Turn your cake pan upside down on top of the pot, then quickly invert the pot, turning it upside down on top of the cake pan.
12. There you have it! Pineapple Upside-down cake! It's that easy!!
*This recipe was taken from my favorite, Pioneer Woman.. Please check her out at thepioneerwoman.com. I know you'll fall in love!